BlenderKit updates in Blender 2.8
Seems the long wait will be over soon, for all of us! We've been working to improve BlenderKit in Blender 2.8 as much as we could. There's still a long road ahead of us, but also, here's a rather long list of new features that have been introduced in recent versions of BlenderKit add-on and server:
- New Log-in method: Until recently, there was a need to copy/paste API key from our pages. Now you can click on a login button and you can login through a web interface.
- Search results are better sorted, we expect this to improve still with time.
- Since 1.0.23 version of the add-on, you don't have to mark assets for validation. You just mark your assets as private if you want them private, otherwise, validation will be processed automatically after some time after upload. Mark for validation was very confusing for a lot of users, especially if they didn't watch/read our tutorials.
- We support profile pictures by Gravatar. These are show in asset previews directly in Blender.
- Author's detailed info is now displayed in the previews.
- Author's website can be opened directly from the add-on. (Just input your www in your profile). Shortcut is W key pressed when hovering over the an asset in blender.
- All Author's assets can be displayed, by pressing A key over an asset.
- Asset preview is now overlayed, which makes it more space saving. This enables actually larger previews if your 3D view is small.
- All material preview types have been improved, but the changes will be mostly visible for Cloth type, which now supports microdisplacement and proper texture size application.
- Freebies category is gone. Because we have so many free models now, they became hardly browsable. Now there's a checkbox to search only free models.
- Search by style. Great for separating lowpoly vs realistic assets .
- Cancelling of downloads is now supported
- Last but not least, I squished may bugs.
See next articles
Simple card and recurring payments are coming to BlenderKit.
We created the first of the BlenderKit artists interviews with Julio Sillet, who has uploaded many great materials to our website.
All the models, brushes, add-ons and materials for you to browse online. And if you find what you were looking for? Get it.
We are happy to announce that BlenderKit database now offers over 1000 assets. These were uploaded by over 60 active creators.
BlenderKit is now just one click away, as a 'default' material library inside Blender 2.8
We continue with presenting artists who upload models and work with BlenderKit. We created the second interview with Adam Krhánek, who is (blabla)
Literally every area you step in Blender requires you to learn a lot of new tools and information, and that's why we implemented several 'shortcuts' for convenience and speed.
Stones, rocks, pieces of wood can be sometimes photoscanned. But plants are still a domain of hard-core modeling. This really takes time, skill and precision, and a lot of observation what "natural" really means.
We just recently released a set of 9 texture-based PBR cycles materials.
We are trying to help you, blenderheads, to save your time while achieving best results possible. Wallpaper textures can really boost interior renders, but do you already have those on your hard drive?
As a late Christmas gift, we are releasing our BlenderKit mascot kitten for free. Now, you can make any scene insta-cute! The kitten is poseable and can be animated (by now 2.79 only, because of a hair-import bug in 2.8 beta).
BlenderKit introduces add-on for Blender 2.8. While there are still many changes in Blender happening, which may cause the add-on will work today and not tomorrow, the add-on should be mostly working fine, and we try to keep the new version updated with the latest Blender builds.
We are happy to announce the release of something we've been working on for a long time.
BlenderKit is a new online platform made for Blender users, creators, and developers. We hope to bring a new momentum into the open source world by introducing several innovations we've been working on.