BlenderKit updates in Blender 2.8
Seems the long wait will be over soon, for all of us! We've been working to improve BlenderKit in Blender 2.8 as much as we could. There's still a long road ahead of us, but also, here's a rather long list of new features that have been introduced in recent versions of BlenderKit add-on and server:
- New Log-in method: Until recently, there was a need to copy/paste API key from our pages. Now you can click on a login button and you can login through a web interface.
- Search results are better sorted, we expect this to improve still with time.
- Since 1.0.23 version of the add-on, you don't have to mark assets for validation. You just mark your assets as private if you want them private, otherwise, validation will be processed automatically after some time after upload. Mark for validation was very confusing for a lot of users, especially if they didn't watch/read our tutorials.
- We support profile pictures by Gravatar. These are show in asset previews directly in Blender.
- Author's detailed info is now displayed in the previews.
- Author's website can be opened directly from the add-on. (Just input your www in your profile). Shortcut is W key pressed when hovering over the an asset in blender.
- All Author's assets can be displayed, by pressing A key over an asset.
- Asset preview is now overlayed, which makes it more space saving. This enables actually larger previews if your 3D view is small.
- All material preview types have been improved, but the changes will be mostly visible for Cloth type, which now supports microdisplacement and proper texture size application.
- Freebies category is gone. Because we have so many free models now, they became hardly browsable. Now there's a checkbox to search only free models.
- Search by style. Great for separating lowpoly vs realistic assets .
- Cancelling of downloads is now supported
- Last but not least, I squished may bugs.
We are happy to announce that BlenderKit database now offers over 1000 assets. These were uploaded by over 60 active creators.
How to get great Ivy in 5 minutes.
BlenderKit introduces add-on for Blender 2.8. While there are still many changes in Blender happening, which may cause the add-on will work today and not tomorrow, the add-on should be mostly working fine, and we try to keep the new version updated with the latest Blender builds.
We are happy to announce the release of something we've been working on for a long time.
BlenderKit is a new online platform made for Blender users, creators, and developers. We hope to bring a new momentum into the open source world by introducing several innovations we've been working on.