Uploading a material
- Select the object which has the material assigned and make the material active in the material window.
- Fill in category, name, style, and tags.
- Fill in description well to help the search engine find your materials.
- Check material scaling:
- For textured materials, fill in texture size in meters. E.g. if there is 5 ceramic tiles on the texture and you know each tile is 40 cm, then texture size will be 5*0.4 = 2 meters.
- For procedural materials, test your material with a mesh that has Auto texture coordinates turned off and texture space scale of 1:1:1
- Check ‘pure PBR’ if the material is pure PBR.
- Render a thumbnail with the auto thumbnailer. For translucent / sss materials, try to use the thumbnail object size property., In cases the autothumbnailer doesn’t work for you, you can render your own thumbnail - minimum 512x512 PNG, preferably without background.
- Now you can upload your material
- Your material will be validated for the database, so not every creation will make it.
Materials - Procedural vs Textured.
- Cycles procedural materials save memory (which might be crucial with GPU rendering), but might be harder to convert to other engines
- PBR materials, this means materials that have only principled shader and any combination of the PBR textures (base color, metallic, roughness, normal), can be more easily transferred to other render engines.