Uploading a model
This is a list of things to check and do before uploading your asset.
If uploading models for your private use, you can skip anything from below, these are insctructions for models you want to share with the public.
General model quality
- If possible, make your assets PBR compatible
- Check if your model is the quality we require for our database. Watch how other assets are done.
- Check your model for any possible mistakes. This includes all aspects - modelling, texturing, UVs, rigging.
- Make an easily snappable parent or center. It can be an empty. The placement of the parent should be so that if the whole model is snapped, it's placed as it should be. E.g. a chair should have a parent (or object center) at the floor in the middle of the object, so it's easily snappable. Or a picture or mirror that's supposed to hang on the wall should have the parent on the back side of the model. Remember that normal aligned snapping in blender uses the Z axis. So a well snappable ceiling lamp should be turned upside down and parented to an non-rotated empty before you upload it.
- Models should not be libraries or collections of objects. If you have e.g. a bowl of fruit, it can be considered as one (composed) model, but e.g. a spoon, fork, knife from same design line should be marked as collection on the website (todo).
- Check scale of your model. 1 blender unit = 1 meter. Scaling is especially important for models that use generated/global texture coordinates, and SSS.
- Check naming of objects and materials in your asset. Everything should be properly named, there shouldn't be materials like 'Material.001' or similar in your creation.
- Prepare 1 thumbnail image for your asset. The thumbnail should be 1024x1024 pixels. The thumbnail should show and explain as much as possible to your model, so you can also use graphic elements or mix several images.You can use the 'Generate thumbnail' operator, which renders a simple thumbnail in the background.
Filling model data in upload panel
Fill in these parameters
- The main purpose of the field is to explain things that need instructions - like particle systems and similar, where the user needs to adjust parameters before using them.
- Manufacturer, Designer, Design collection - In the growing database, these help architects to find your creations, especially when
- Design year
- This property is important for human-made objects. If your asset comes from future or alternative reality, just try to guess the year too. All the steampunk stories happened in the 1800s anyway, right?
Finally upload your model! Everything you read above will take you just 2-3 minutes when you get used to the process, don't worry.
Afterwards, check if you did everything right by searching your model in the database and downloading it.
After that, you can hit the Mark for validation button( this is obsolete since 1.0.24 version of the add-on, you just need to upload to public and the asset goes for validation automatically). This let’s us know that we should look at your model and let you know if it’s accepted into the database. As of now, you'll usually receive a personally written mail from our admin. There might be comments in this mail that you might need to respond to, especially if the model isn't validated for the first time.