Add-on updates (version 1.0.19)
Thumbnail previews now respect image aspect ratio. We request square thumbnails by our rules, but don't want to bully some experienced creators to adhere to our rules so strictly. Creators, if you read this, please try to upload square images! It just looks better in the UI.
- Asset preview scales down when it doesn't fit in your 3D view.
- Ratings UI was moved under the asset bar - it's now more visible and hopefully bug free.
Less is sometimes More
We did quite a lot of work to strip down the size of our add-on.
- Surprisingly, most of our download size was the fluid preview object. I remodelled it by hand, and I think it looks far better now, and also reduced add-on download size by about 11 MB.
- Second drive eater was an included HDRI image, we managed to get it out by using the HDRs included in Blender 2.8.
- And last, also adhering to this ancient wisdom, we reduced the amount of text in the asset preview which appears when you drag your mouse over asset bar. I still think there is a lot of useful info that we store. Like knowing what shaders the asset uses or how many and how large are the textures. But we need to work on representing this data with simple visual clues rather than super long text that wasn't readable anymore.
This is our priority. While things are really stable on the database side, the 2.8 UI is still prone to bugs. We try to hunt these down. It's really hard to count these! But at least to mention the most notable ones:
- Bound box calculation didn't work well when the uploader didn't apply scale of the parent object. We also request this in our rules, but it obviously did happen for several objects so then bound box preview is quite off.
- Bring to scene in 2.8 was broken, now works nicely again.
See next articles
We created the first of the BlenderKit artists interviews with Julio Sillet, who has uploaded many great materials to our website.
All the models, brushes, add-ons and materials for you to browse online. And if you find what you were looking for? Get it.
We are happy to announce that BlenderKit database now offers over 1000 assets. These were uploaded by over 60 active creators.
BlenderKit is now just one click away, as a 'default' material library inside Blender 2.8
We continue with presenting artists who upload models and work with BlenderKit. We created the second interview with Adam Krhánek, who is (blabla)
Literally every area you step in Blender requires you to learn a lot of new tools and information, and that's why we implemented several 'shortcuts' for convenience and speed.
Stones, rocks, pieces of wood can be sometimes photoscanned. But plants are still a domain of hard-core modeling. This really takes time, skill and precision, and a lot of observation what "natural" really means.
We just recently released a set of 9 texture-based PBR cycles materials.
We are trying to help you, blenderheads, to save your time while achieving best results possible. Wallpaper textures can really boost interior renders, but do you already have those on your hard drive?
As a late Christmas gift, we are releasing our BlenderKit mascot kitten for free. Now, you can make any scene insta-cute! The kitten is poseable and can be animated (by now 2.79 only, because of a hair-import bug in 2.8 beta).
BlenderKit introduces add-on for Blender 2.8. While there are still many changes in Blender happening, which may cause the add-on will work today and not tomorrow, the add-on should be mostly working fine, and we try to keep the new version updated with the latest Blender builds.
We are happy to announce the release of something we've been working on for a long time.
BlenderKit is a new online platform made for Blender users, creators, and developers. We hope to bring a new momentum into the open source world by introducing several innovations we've been working on.